Principal Research Scientist
Invinity Energy Systems seeks a Principal Research Scientist with expertise in vanadium flow battery electro-active materials R&D. Join a committed and capable team in Bathgate, UK.
Invinity Energy Systems is the leading global manufacturer of modular vanadium flow batteries for utility-scale energy storage deployments that unlock low-cost, low-carbon renewable energy on demand for businesses, industry, and electricity networks around the world. Safe, reliable, durable, and economical, Invinity’s flow batteries are the most commercially proven alternative to lithium-ion and help to accelerate global progress towards Net Zero. We have commercial projects in Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia, with office locations in Vancouver, BC, and Bathgate, Scotland, London, UK, and San Francisco, California.
Reporting to the Manager, Materials R&D, the Principal Research Scientist is an experienced Electrochemist first and foremost with broad and deep experience in vanadium flow battery electro-active materials R&D. You will work as a “hands-on” researcher within Invinity’s experienced R&D team while also providing expert science and analytical skills, training, mentorship and domain knowledge to the broader R&D team that is rapidly advance Invinity’s next generation commercial products.
Throughout your career, you will have demonstrated an excellent track record of delivering flow battery materials R&D that met or exceeded targets, including all lifecycle aspects from idea conception, and R&D program execution in multi-discipline teams, to a verified technology demonstrated at lab scale (Technology Readiness Level 1 through 5 inclusive). The successful candidate will be working independently in the lab, collaboratively with external R&D partners, and have a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art flow battery science and adjacent scientific fields required for battery R&D.
- Plan and conduct electrochemical R&D of next-generation materials and flow battery devices.
- Identify, investigate, and assess pre-production R&D material and analytical techniques for the advancement of flow battery science.
- Refine and develop new electrochemical test methods.
- Train and teach electrochemical first-principals theory, including the development of 1st principal’s mathematical models for the prediction of electrochemical performance and degradation mechanisms.
- Collaborate with cross-functional R&D, Engineering, and Manufacturing teams to provide expert electro-chemical theory and practical skills in the development of Invinity next-generation technologies.
- Domain knowledge creation and awareness skills; understand state-of-the-art flow battery science in literature and patents for the creation of new patent applications.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills Required
- A PhD degree in Electrochemistry or PhD in related fields with demonstrated equivalent electrochemistry experience.
- 10+ years of demonstrated expertise and growth in flow battery electrochemical R&D for commercial products.
- 15+ years’ experience with electrochemical materials R&D.
- Proven ability to set and achieve clear research targets at the forefront of flow battery science.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to excel in a project-based, deliverables-driven R&D environment.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate in writing: research reports, published technical papers, patent applications, etc.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and verbal communication skills; must be able to communicate complex science to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Team player with the independence of thought and opinion to provide candor and honesty when making critical business decisions.
- Expert data analytical, task prioritization, and organizational skills.
- All other flow battery skills and experience are considered assets, please highlight in your application. (e.g. batter accelerated life testing R&D, electrolyte formulation and processing, cell materials formulation and synthesis, etc.)
- Up to 10% travel may be required for this position
If you believe that successful companies have at their foundation great science that is aligned with company strategy, if you want to be part of a committed and capable team, and if you are an expert at what you do, Invinity may be the place for you. Let’s talk!
Apply nowJob expired?
Please let Invinity Energy Systems know you found this job on Rejobs. This will help us grow and get more people to work on renewable energy!
About the role
Jan 31, 2024
Jul 27, 2024
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Senior (10+ years)
Share with Friends
The stakes are high, and the time for talk has passed. Now is the time for action. Help a friend accelerate the shift to a sustainable future.
Share this job - Principal Research Scientist - with your folks, and help them find a career to be proud of.