We are committed to building a workplace where everyone feels heard and respected, and extending our culture of care so that every individual can reach their full potential. We want you to have a sense of belonging and feel valued for your contributions and the perspectives you bring.
The Sr. Estimator - BESS, prepares cost estimates for renewable energy and utility-owned battery energy storage systems (BESS) with a complete understanding of the interrelationship of the cost of labor, material, equipment, and productivity in the unit costs used at each level of an estimate. Manages accurate, cost competitive and timely preparation of estimates for the Company’s renewable energy and T&D construction business to be bid, incorporating extensive knowledge of construction means and methods, costs, and industry principles.
- Reviews and understands the content of all Request for Proposal (RFP) documents to determine the scope of work and required pricing elements for inclusion within the estimate.
- Leads a team of contributing estimators for respective SOWs to prepare accurate, competitive, and timely estimates for Bid-Build and EPC (Engineer-Procure-Construct) construction Request for Proposals (RFPs); provides leadership, coaching, and mentoring to estimators and associate estimators.
- Collaborates with project-assigned Preconstruction Manager for engineering support services and deliverables as the estimate basis.
- Receives, prioritizes, and distributes quote requests to vendors and subcontractors; analyzes responses for accuracy, completeness, and efficacy per request and project schedule milestones.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive, and timely project cost and schedule estimates.
- Completes take-offs to calculate estimate quantities and units of work for EPC and Balance of Plant (BOP) self-perform BESS construction scopes of work, DC, and AC electrical systems.
- Quantifies resources and production rates for BESS systems for utility power generation and distribution self-perform construction cost estimation.
- Determines impacts to estimates based on local labor requirements, current commodity pricing, and client’s project specifications.
- Identifies project risks and records in Risk Register during the preparation of estimates.
- Attends work regularly and punctually, as scheduled or expected.
- Complies with Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct, and Company Policies & Procedures.
- Presents, supports, and leads-by-example with a safety and quality-oriented attitude.
- Creates estimate-related bid proposal documents to meet RFP submittal requirements, such as Statement of Value (SOV,) client-provided technical forms, and Assumptions Clarifications Exclusions (ACE) documents.
- Collaborates with Preconstruction Manager and Proposal Scheduler for alignment of estimated resources and duration represented in project estimate to achieve client-defined milestones identified within the project schedule.
- Presents project scope, identified risks, and cost estimate for Operations and Executive reviews.
- Reviews all estimate entries for accuracy of whole-project scope activity costs. Analyzes multi-discipline estimated expenses related to client RFP information, design, and costs to complete the estimate.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data to accurately estimate construction, material, and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Collaborates with Proposal Coordinator and Preconstruction Manager to assemble proposals during bidding.
- Assists in compiling historical cost data for projects.
- Coordinates and schedules Estimating Handoff Meeting. Leads the project estimating team in preparing documents and presentations at the meeting and is the point of contact for follow-up action requested by the project construction team.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Experience with EPC and BOP estimate structure to create proposals for large-scale and utility-grade renewable energy power plant construction projects.
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions that support consistency, standardization, and cost competitiveness.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of tasks and processes associated with constructing utility-grade renewable energy projects. Experience working with BESS DC and AC coupled systems and constructing the transmission line is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with design-build construction methods, utilizing creative thought processes and experience to produce production-based cost estimates with detailed costs for resource budget estimates.
- Ability to complete quantity take-offs from construction plans.
- Ability to compile indicative budgets in the absence of engineered documents.
- Experience with estimating software; experience with HCSS HeavyBid is beneficial.
- Experience with Blue Beam/Adobe for purposes of quantity take-off.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Project, OneNote, Teams), and SharePoint.
- Ability to evaluate site conditions from plans, geotechnical reports, and/or site visits to create cost estimates utilizing the best labor, equipment, and material resources for the most competitive and accurate proposal estimates. Ability to apply varying levels of detail for both indicative and hard bid proposals.
- Strong skills in client and subcontractor interface and negotiation.
- Ability to travel to sites to review site conditions during the proposal phase and evaluate resources and production during the construction phase.
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options.
- Strong detail orientation and analytical thinking skills.
- Desire to learn and apply knowledge quickly.
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks on time with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality.
- Comfortable operating in a highly collaborative team environment working with third-party customers, developers, design engineers, construction estimators, pre-construction managers, construction managers, and executive managers regularly.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple assignments, and prioritize as required.
- Functional competencies include attention to detail, collaboration, continuous improvement, prioritization, and accountability.
- Associate degree in engineering, construction management, or related area of study; OR high school with at least 2 years of equivalent industry experience, required.
- 5 or more years of experience estimating self-perform utility-scale BESS construction or equivalent experience with combination of self-perform utility-scale BESS and industrial electrical system construction, required.
- 2 or more years of experience leading a team of estimators for specific project pursuit estimates, preferred.
- 1 or more years of field-based construction estimates, preferred.
- Ability to travel domestically 5 to 15%.
Anticipated base salary range: $125,000 - $140,000
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. This position is bonus eligible.
RES offers benefits that are effective first day of employment. These benefits include the following:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Health Savings Account with employer contribution
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 4x pay Basic Life and Voluntary Life
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Accident, Hospital, and Critical Illness
- 401 (k) plan with 6% company match
- 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO) and 10 Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement and Green Car Reimbursement
- Volunteer and Charity Matching
- Paid Parental Leave and Paid Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Employee Discounts and Wellness programs
- Wellness Reimbursement
Physical requirements and environment
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Rarely: Climbing, crouching, kneeling, pulling/pushing/lifting between 5-15lbs., and stooping are required. Occasionally: Carrying 5-15lbs., gripping, handling, pinching, and walking are required. Frequently: Standing is required. Constantly: Reading, grasping, hearing, reaching, vision, repetitive motion, and sitting is required.
Rarely exposed to extreme cold, heat, and humidity, and wet climates, in the working environment. Occasionally exposed to noise and hazards in the work environment.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Apply nowJob expired?
Please let Renewable Energy Systems know you found this job on Rejobs. This will help us grow and get more people to work on renewable energy!
About the role
Feb 08, 2024
Aug 03, 2024
Colorado, United States
5 or more years of estimating self-perform utility-scale BESS construction or equivalent experience
Share with Friends
The stakes are high, and the time for talk has passed. Now is the time for action. Help a friend accelerate the shift to a sustainable future.
Share this job - Sr Estimator BESS - with your folks, and help them find a career to be proud of.