Senior Electrical Engineer - Nuclear Projects
Senior Electrical Engineer position at Sargent & Lundy, a global leader in power and energy with expertise in nuclear power, renewable energy, and more. Full-time, hybrid workplace in Wilmington, DE.
Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
- Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
- Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
- Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
- Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients’ expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
- Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
- Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
This position will offer you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the design, modification, and analysis of new and existing nuclear power plant electrical systems. Responsibilities include:
- Prepare and review engineering design change packages to install, replace or upgrade existing plant equipment to ensure long-term equipment reliability,
- Prepare and review detailed engineering calculations in support of design change packages, including AC and DC power studies, short circuit, cable ampacity, voltage drop, breaker coordination, motor starting and protective relay settings.
- Prepare and review equipment procurement specifications,
- Participate in bid review evaluation process for potential equipment vendors, to include supporting vendor requests for additional information, developing responses to vendor questions, and maintaining a tracking mechanism for questions/responses,
- Prepare and review scoping documents for conceptual designs, to include constructability reviews,
- Interface with project team members from other engineering and design disciplines (Mechanical, Structural, Civil, I&C),
- Interface with the client in support of the project, including implementing personnel,
- Interface with vendors to perform document reviews and provide written comment,
- Attend client meetings and site field walkdowns to validate scope and ensure client satisfaction
- Travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to plant site locations for construction coordination and field verification of designs
- Support site installation activities during project implementation,
- Assist the S&L project manager to ensure projects are completed satisfactorily, on time, and within budget,
- Responsible for overall technical, financial, and administrative performance of the engineering scope by:
- Initiating and conveying scope of work to project team members
- Defining deliverables (i.e. calcs, specs, drawings, design change etic…)
- Reviewing status and tracking progress of team members to maintain project scope/budget and keep client informed.
- Routine status meetings
- Submitting progress reports
- Tracking and resolving open items and emergent project issues,
- Coordinating completion of project deliverables
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience
- A BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program,
- Five or more years’ experience in the design of electrical engineering systems in a project team environment for industrial applications, with a focus on design for existing nuclear power plants,
- Experience in the selection of equipment, materials, and the preparation and assembling of engineering design change packages, calculations, and specifications,
- Experience with electrical system design including low and medium voltage distribution systems (transformers, generators, motor, relays, etc.),
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to convey information to project team members and client,
- Detail oriented approach to work,
- Capable of being badged for unescorted access to a nuclear station
Valued but not required skills and experience
- PE license
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.
Apply nowJob expired?
Please let Sargent & Lundy know you found this job on Rejobs. This will help us grow and get more people to work on renewable energy!
About the role
Jan 14, 2024
Jul 13, 2024
Wilmington, DE, United States
Five or more years’ experience
Share with Friends
The stakes are high, and the time for talk has passed. Now is the time for action. Help a friend accelerate the shift to a sustainable future.
Share this job - Senior Electrical Engineer - Nuclear Projects - with your folks, and help them find a career to be proud of.