Specialist, Renewable Development and Transaction
Renewable Development and Transactions Specialist role in Boulder, CO. Full-time position with competitive annual salary and benefits.
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost, and reliable clean electricity. For over 111 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com.
About the Role
TransAlta is looking to hire an experienced Renewable Development and Transactions Specialist to join our growing Renewable Development team to advance the growth and development of TransAlta’s renewable portfolio in the United States.
The ideal candidate will foster a stakeholder-driven growth program that ensures TransAlta, and TransAlta Renewables are uniquely and competitively positioned to secure and deliver greenfield growth opportunities. The ideal candidate will have experience with all aspects of development of renewable energy projects, supplemented with experience in leading acquisitions and transactions. The successful applicant will originate, pursue and close on opportunities to add quality renewable development projects at the pre-construction phase to TransAlta’s growing pipeline. The candidate will also maintain a portfolio of their own development projects that they will lead through the development process until they are transitioned to the construction team to be built.
As Renewable Development and Transactions Specialist, you will be focused on acquiring and developing renewable projects at various stages in the WECC, MISO / PJM / SPP / ERCOT markets but may also work on projects in other regions across the United States. As such, travel may be required. You will oversee, evaluate, and execute greenfield investment opportunities that will increase the value of TransAlta’s and TransAlta Renewables common equity and generate superior industry returns in targeted geographies and technologies.
This is a full-time salaried position. Our preferred location is based at our office in Boulder, Colorado.
What You Will Do
As the Renewable Development and Transactions Specialist, you will be:
- Accountable for leading the pursuit of acquisitions of pre-construction renewable development projects in TransAlta target markets in the United States
- Accountable for leading the due diligence process for project acquisitions, ensuring the appropriate subject matter experts review and provide guidance on the benefits and risks of a particular project
- Accountable for overseeing transaction support functions, such as data room management, Q&A coordination, and coordination of cross-functional due diligence efforts
- Accountable for the evaluation and execution of renewable energy development projects consistent with the corporate growth strategy
- Accountable for identifying and mitigating enterprise risks as they relate to the projects under development
- Accountable for leading project teams and project development through all stages of development, from the conceptual stage to the hand-off to the execution team for construction. This will include leading the following initiatives:
- community outreach and other stakeholder management activities
- land acquisition efforts
- market, regulatory, and other related project research
- efforts to obtain permits for renewable projects at the local, state, and federal level
- efforts to secure transmission and interconnection rights from utilities and transmission providers
- engineering and construction planning activities
- Lead the preparation of proposals that are submitted to potential power purchasers
- Assist in negotiating various commercial contracts, such as Power Purchase Agreements and Turbine Supply Agreements
What We Need From You
To be successful in this role, we are looking for the following must-have qualifications and experience:
- Degree and/or professional designation in, business, finance, economics, or other applicable degree CFA, MBA or other advanced degree / designation strongly preferred
- 5+ years experience in an M&A, business development, corporate strategy and or planning/analysis role. Previous transaction experience is preferred
- 2 years+ of progressively responsible project management or development experience in energy or a related industry
- Strong understanding of the project development process
- Ability to work collaboratively leading a team of high-performing subject matter experts toward a common shared goal
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Cross-functional coordination and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to build trust in relationships with internal and external counterparts including customers, vendors, and other project stakeholders
- Well-developed presentation skills with the ability to present to an executive team
- Strong team player who is dedicated and committed to team success
- Motivated and committed to success
- Available and able to travel within the United States as required
- Available to attend customer, corporate, and stakeholder events
- Available to work extended hours to meet tight deadlines and commitments, when required
What We Offer
TransAlta is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment where you can be your true and authentic self. We offer our employees comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, annual incentives, and rewards program. Here are some highlights of our total rewards package:
- Annual base salary starting at USD $107,000.00 – $145,000.00. The final agreed-upon base salary is based on the successful candidate(s) qualifications and experience.
- Annual incentive program
- 401(k) plan with 5% fixed employer contributions, up to 5% company matching, and additional employee contribution
- Benefits program for you and your family which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid time off
** Please note that our total rewards program is subject to change based on state or federal eligibility and legislation and as per the final terms and conditions of the offer of employment.
Become part of our TransAlta team today!
We look forward to reviewing your application. All applications will be reviewed in a timely manner to the best of our abilities. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the recruitment process.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
It is our collective mission to ensure that every single employee feels a sense of inclusion and belonging and can show up to work as their true authentic self. TransAlta is committed to hiring a diverse workforce including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBTQ2+ community. TransAlta believes that diversity enhances the quality of its performance, is an essential element to effective corporate governance, and cultivates a strong workplace culture.
Apply nowJob expired?
Please let TransAlta know you found this job on Rejobs. This will help us grow and get more people to work on renewable energy!
About the role
Jan 23, 2024
Jul 13, 2024
Boulder, CO, United States
Share with Friends
The stakes are high, and the time for talk has passed. Now is the time for action. Help a friend accelerate the shift to a sustainable future.
Share this job - Specialist, Renewable Development and Transaction - with your folks, and help them find a career to be proud of.